Thursday, January 28, 2010

Should we just start another group instead?

A girlfriend of mine asked me recently if I'd be interested in helping to plan our 20th reunion. First of all, TWENTY YEARS?!? Really?? It sure doesn't feel like 20 years, though I'm reminded of it each and every time I wash-that-grey-right-outta-my-hair. But this isn't really about us getting older. I went to our 10 year reunion. I came to the conclusion that we all looked the same but wider. Some of us had been in contact via email, or found each other on various websites like classmates.com but for most of us, it was a surprise to see what everyone looked like. We got to listen with awe and a twinge of jealousy to our friends who'd "made it", cheer for those who'd gotten married or just had their first babies. Others, like me, hadn't done anything of consequence but we all stood around and talked and laughed and caught up with each other. The thing was, we were hearing about it all firsthand, for the first time. A lot has changed since the last reunion. Now with tools like Facebook, we all "see" each other so regularly that I wonder if it will all be anti-climactic? Will we have anything to talk about other than Farmville and Vampire Wars? Will any of us be as interesting and witty without the aid of Photoshop and Google? More importantly, will we all be tweeting the entire event as it unfolds? OMG!!! You'll never believe who got FAT?!? Oh come on, we're all thinkin' it.

2 comments:

  1. it will be for me, i didn't go to our tenth, as you know. instead, i was there virtually through your phone. :)

    oh and for the record...i haven't signed on for anything yet!! but if i do...YOU'RE GOIN' DOWN WITH ME!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skipped my own, but attended my husband Dave's 20th high school reunion last summer. It was interesting. I had more fun hanging out with his lifelong best friend and wife, though, and we can see them anytime they're in town from Chicago for a visit.

    The best television that happened was when the girl Dave dated (and deflowered!) in high school was bitchy to him when he offered to buy her another drink. She was standing in our general area when he was going to get a round for his buddy and me, and didn't want to be rude, so he casually asked her, "What're you drinking?" He was trying to be nice, like, "Hey, I'll get you a drink too, since we're all grown-ups now, right?" She spat back "WINE!" in a really bitchy, DUH-type of voice at him.

    She was holding a wine glass at the time, so he obviously meant what kind of wine, but she turned away in a huff. YES. My inner high schooler was fist-pumping and giggling. I'm lying if I say that I wasn't hoping for some sort of a dramatic rant in my husband's direction. I live a really boring life. I wanted some ridiculous high school drama (that didn't directly involve me, of course.)

    She was really sloshed, so we decided she either still hates him for breaking up with her twenty years ago or didn't understand the question. Or maybe both. It was really fun for me to watch, either way.

    If you go, you must blog about it. You MUST. :)

    ReplyDelete